Welcome back. Apparently this is becoming a weekly segment. A segment in which I try as hard as I can to get a post out during the morning, fail, weep and eventually manage to push it out in the evening. In Part 2 I left you about half-way through my progress with my Slaanesh Cultist named Mr. Cuddles. In the next article I'll show you what came of my second model for whom I don't have a name, yet. But for today's article, let's finish up Mr. Cuddles and talk about improvements to be made and what I do and don't like about the finished product. More after the jump.
Before we move forward, take a look at the picture above. The white to yellow to orange to red effect is what I wanted for Mr. Cuddles. Not necessarily the glowing effect (I don't have an airbrush), but the radiation of color. So I gave it a shot and it didn't turn out too badly with so little room to work with:
(click to zoom)
Next up was some silver detail all over this guy's head:
And some clean up on various portions of the body:
Next it was time to experiment with washes (I've never used those before either.) While I had a bunch of different washes to pick from after a trip to my FLGS, I chose to stick with Nuln Oil and Druchii Violet for my first time. Nuln Oil went on his pistol and Druchii Violet went pretty much everywhere else:
As a final step, I used the realistic water mix I made for the base in Part 1 and applied that to his boots and weapon:
And the final product:
Overall I'm pleased with how my first real attempt at painting turned out, but there's a lot I wanted to change. The over-use of the violet wash is probably at the top of that list. I should have tried different kinds, but fear of ruining the model stood in my way. Another change would be the base itself, something I went over in Part 1. I'm happy with how it turned out as it's more impressive to me than I figured it would be as my first real attempt.
In Part 4 we'll take a look at my second attempt as well as my needless use of my panorama option on my camera.
Until next time.